DC switchgear renewal at Petts Wood, and contruction of new TP hut
In July 2018 Sunville Rail Limited were contracted as part of an early engagement to liaise with designers and the project team at Siemens to construct a new brick-built DC Track Paralleling Hut including all associated cable, route works and safe access.
The early engagement allowed Sunville Rail's experienced project team to advise on design requirements to enable the works to be completed within extremely tight timescales, with limited access.
This high-profile contract required the installation and commissioning of a new DC switch-gear to replace the life-expired existing building and electrical components at Petts Wood, Orpington, Kent.
The redundant T.P. Hut building had been out of service since 2008, when it was struck by lighting and caught alight rendering the equipment within unusable.
Sunville Rail liaised with local council and residents to enable safe access via a local housing estate. Works involved excavating the area adjacent to the existing T.P. Hut building to construct a new building to house the new electrical components.
The foundations required the pumping of concrete in excess of 300m with all materials and scaffolding delivered via local footpaths and woodland.
The project was critical to the introduction of the new December 2018 timetable change for the TOC.
In summary, Sunville Rail carried out:
· Early engagement with designers to achieve a build-able design solution.
· Arranged safe access in agreement with local council and liaison with local residents.
· Set up safe access to site with minimal effect on the local woodland including acoustic barriers.
· Set up approved ALO barriers and HV Cable protection.
· Removed minimal vegetation during the excavation and levelling of the site.
· Cast concrete raft foundation, using concrete pumps over a 300m distance.
· Delivered and erected scaffolding for safe-working at height.
· Constructed brick built and block structure including all associated buildings works.
· Supplied and installed security doors and louvres.
· Core drilled walls and hand excavated all associated cable ducts and SCT.
· Constructed all safe walking routes.